At 11:27 AM 3/16/2004, Ben Laurie wrote:
>Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>>--On Monday, March 15, 2004 10:52 AM +0000 Ben Laurie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>It is? How? Unless the committer signs (which ISTR was rejected as an option
>>>when I suggested it, so I'm assuming that doesn't happen), then they must be
>>>signed by the server - a successful attacker can therefore sign his
>>>modifications, too. Or am I missing something? (I don't use subversion yet,
>>>so forgive me if the answer is obvious).
>>
>>We're talking about ensuring the integrity of the repository here, not whether
>>malicious people can commit.
>
>I know.

Uhm I beg to differ - I care about both issues :)

>>With the repository and its dumps, everything is date-ordered.  The revisions are
>>sequential and the dumps only contain the changes for that particular revision.
>>Once the changes are made, they can be signed by the server and rsync'd via a
>>third-party 'secure' server (*only* adding the new revisions).  In the event of an
>>intrusion, we can use those read-only dumps to compare against our 'live'
>>repository.  Also, if a malicious set of commits occur, we can also *quickly* remove
>>those as everything is identified by a changeset/revision number across the
>>repository (again, not possible with CVS as it has per-file revnums).
>
>I don't see how this defends against a malicious user that has owned the server for
>long enough for his changes to have been rsynced to the "secure" server?

That is always a risk - which is why the more offsite copies backed regularly,
the better.  If there is a barrier to rsync'ing the database, or rsyncing the commit
history and auto-layering the main repository history into a mirror repository,
I'm very adverse to the proposal.  If anyone has a cool bookmark on mirroring
svn repositories, please share.

>>>It is news to me that the board have expressed this view.
>>No, it's not official, but every time we have an intrusion, we have no useful
>>mechanism of auditing the integrity of our CVS repository as people can modify the
>>RCS files directly and that *has* been a concern brought up by the board on several
>>occasions.  With Subversion, it is possible to easily verify the integrity of the
>>repository against backups.  -- justin
>
>I have yet to be convinced of this.

Same here....

diff -u3 backup/source.c,v live/source.c,v

....you mean to say there is an equally trivial way to compare two repositories
to do post-mortem with svn?  If so please share!

Bill