On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:14:32PM +0100, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Guenter Knauf wrote:
> >Hi,
> >>Should we add a cert-creation .sh and .vbs script to support/ for this
> >>purpose (on any platform)?  Sounds like a great idea to me!
> >+1 from me.
> >If you find my vbs useful then I will contribute it.
> > I've spent a good time to find at least something working;
>
> Drop an eye on:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/connectors/trunk/jni/examples/mkcerts?view=markup

- auto-generating dummy certs which claim to be issued by or to the ASF
doesn't seem like a good idea at all
- the only hostnames referenced should be `hostname` or localhost;
this uses some "localhost.edu" in a few places
- it's also a good idea to set a pseudo-random serial number on issued
certs, e.g. use $RANDOM where available, fall back on $$/$PPID etc
- also particularly odd to encrypt the file storing the private key

joe