On Apr 4, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Georg von Zezschwitz wrote:

Jim Jagielski schrieb:
Rüdiger's point is that we would be doing the "scanning"
for each and every request, which is wasteful since they
aren't changing. Even in the above the strlen() is
counting chars that don't change between requests.

the performance aspect is why I would also prefer the "arbitrary sequence of stickysession-attributes"
with an optional Cookie/Path-prefix.

Currently, the URL path search is performed before the Cookie search.
I do not know why this sequence was chosen (most users will rather support cookie-based
session management, so the URL approach is less likely to match).
If we state that the evaluation takes place in the occurence of stickysession attributes
and suggest

stickysession=Cookie:JSESSIONID stickysession=Path:;jsessionid to the user

it will perform faster in average.

As I promised to write the patch, I would do it the way Jim suggested it for backward compatibility, however I would also add a table "sticky_type" containing the "Cookie vs.
Path vs. Env"-prefix (in a parsed way) to the balancer struct.

Is this OK for everybody?

Patch for trunk...