On May 11, 2007, at 5:56 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

On 05/11/2007 11:23 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:

And of course once you introduce wild char maps there must
be some sort of exclusion rules.

ProxyPass /*/foo/* balancer://bar
then for example by extending ProxyBlock
ProxyBlock /*/foo/*.gif balancer://bar
or by having an ! in front of path
ProxyPass !/*/foo/*.gif balancer://bar

Do we really need this?
As we know from Rich's lightning talk at the ApacheCon every directive
can be replaced by a rewrite rule :-).

Except that mod_rewrite is not balancer aware... so using
rewrite rules uses the "default" reverse proxy work,
which, I think, diminishes its usefullness.

Seriously, I wouldn't put too much effort in this. If we can get
some globbing easily and ease some of the migrations from mod_jk to
mod_proxy then this is cool. But IMHO if someone has more complex
stuff to solve he should use mod_rewrite. It seems to me like
the natural tool for this. Maybe we should remove something of the
'voodoo aura' of mod_rewrite.

Not only for mod_jk people but for anyone... Imagine
wanting to proxy all *.gif files to a proxy balancer;
You have a "cluster" of image servers. mod_rewrite
doesn't allow you to efficient use the balancer
and the "normal" Directory|Location|Files regex
containers don't work with ProxyPass... The existing
ProxyPass logic expects the URL space (either as
the 1st argument to ProxyPass or as obtained
from the Directory container) to be a simple URL prefix,
not any sort of glob/regex... This seems a major
disadvantage to me :)