On May 12, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

On 05/12/2007 04:15 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

On May 12, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

Still, just because mod_rewrite allows it doesn't mean we
shouldn't allow ProxyPass to do what's right. ;)

in any case, added to trunk... next step is to also
make the Directory container method work...

While we are at it: It would be useful if the backreferences from
the fake regex could be used on the real side.
But of course then we are very close to mod_rewrite :-).

Agreed on both... But then, wouldn't it require
that the simple case be made more complex. ie:

        ProxyPass (/.*\.gif)$ balancer://foo$1

Instead of just:

        ProxyPass \.gif$ balancer://foo

Otherwise the code would need to be a bit more complex to see
if the substitution worked and, if not, "assume" that
there was no requested substitution, if you follow me...
And that seemed controversial enough to me to want to
avoid it (for fear of the whole concept of adding
globbing/regex support to ProxyPass being vigorously
debated :) ). I think starting "simple" and then
expanding it is safer if you actually want an "enhancement"
to be folded in. Lessons learned from 11 years of
httpd development ;)