Sander,

Sorry, missed your reply originally. I would assume that it is possible to
make configuration conditional and enable mod_gzip if zlib is available to
help distribution builders like Red Hat make this decision to include the
module?

BTW, it beats me why zlib is not in distros by default - gzip seems like a
very commonly used process ;)

P.S. this problem does not affect mod_expires and mod_rewrite I was
originally talking about - both don't need any additional libraries as far
as I know.

            Sergey