On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 12:33:58PM +0000, Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group wrote:
> The typical way to solve this today is to know the keepalive timeout
> of the backend and set ttl for this worker to a value a few seconds
> below.

I just looked at a case where the user is hitting this problem and does
already have the ttl & keepalive-timeout configured like that; and a few
seconds difference is not necessarily enough.  The problem is that the
"prefetch" of the 16K request body is making it a lot worse - the worst
case is (16K/packet size) * Timeout seconds to complete the "prefetch".

That's time when the proxy *thinks* the connection is valid but the
backend thinks the connection is idle.  And in most reverse-proxy cases
that prefetch is adding basically no value AFAICT - the backend is a
known vintage and probably HTTP/1.1.  So... could we make the prefetch
stuff configurable away?

Regards, Joe