> Am 14.09.2017 um 14:56 schrieb Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Stefan Eissing
> <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 08.09.2017 um 04:37 schrieb William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
>>>
>>> Reminder, this will not work with the current server_rec, we have a 1:1
>>> correspondence to the server port. We would need to stop looking at that
>>> field and track the port entirely on the connection and the server rec
>>> addresses array.
>>
>> Urgs.
>>
>> 1. Irregardless of multiple addresses in a VirtualHost, I still like the
>> idea of
>>
>>    SSLEngine *:443 local_interface:8001
>>
>> that is best used in the base server, once.
>> a) I think it is easy to understand what it does.
>> b) It prevents missing 'SSLEngine on' in a VirtualHost that needs it
>> c) It causes required fails when a VirtualHost on a SSL port has no
>> certificates
>
> What do the parameters mean here?

Those are the addresses (same format as in VirtualHost) where "SSLEngine on" is
implied, for all vhosts where no other SSLEngine is defined.

>> With that, we could advise people who want to start using SSL to include the
>> following in their main conf:
>>
>>  Listen 443
>>  # The following fails if your OpenSSL is not new enough.
>>  SSLPolicy modern
>>  SSLEngine *:443
>
> I don't like this so much.

You mean, you will not use it? Or that you think this leads to
misconfigurations? Or that there is an easier way?

> I'd rather a new directive altogether if it will live outside of the
> affected VH and that the name convey a little more of what it's doing.
>
>> 2. For people *moving* from http: to https: for a VirtualHost, we'd advise
>>
>>  <VirtualHost *:80>
>>    ServerName yourhostname
>>    Redirect 301 "/" "https://yourhostname/";
>>  </VirtualHost>
>>
>>  <VirtualHost *:443>
>>    ServerName yourhostname
>>     ...the former http: config
>>  </VirtualHost>
>>

> The only difference from the as-is here is that the SSL config is
> implicit because of some global directive, right?

No, the SSL config is inherited, just as it is now. You can still overwrite it
in the vhost.

>> 3. For people wanting to offer both http: and https: for the same resources
>> (maybe for a trial period), what would we tell them?
>> a) Copy to a new VirtualHost
>> b) Make separate file and Include in two VirtualHost?
>> c) Macros???
>
> I think this leads back to 1 VH with directives like SSLRequireSSL and
> automatic SSL over 443 or opted in ports.
> Or, global configs w/ no VH at all that just work.

I am not sure what you mean and if you think it's positive or not.

To recap: I am looking for an easy way to instruct someone to enable https: for

Listen 80

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName blabla.org
   ...lots of stuff...
</VirtualHost>

and with the current trunk, she can change this to:

Listen 80
Listen 443
SSLEngine *:443

ManagedDomain blabla.org
<VirtualHost *:443 *:80>
   ServerName blabla.org
   ...lots of stuff...
</VirtualHost>

Hey, it's not that I *want* to define this on my own. I am asking since March
for feedback on these things here. I am not sure how to react to "Don't like
this so much." now.

Cheers,

Stefan