> On 2 Feb 2018, at 15:44, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de> wrote:
>

>> Am 02.02.2018 um 15:42 schrieb Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>:

>> I don't know what "easier ways" you are thinking about, the one
>> proposed here is not that complicated IMO.
>> In any case the method we are currently using in mod_proxy_lb *is*
>> changing accross restarts, mainly because of the line number.
>> What if you add/remove a line before the <VirtualHost>?
>> At least for graceful restarts, I think it shall not change, SHMs
>> should be reused.
>
> Is it a hash across the config record of a server what would give
> the desired behaviour?

We have several internal modules which sort of need this. In each case we
generate a  sha256 and a UUID based on the FQDN or IP address and the (first)
port number it listens on.

And we then log this with ‘info’ during startup; thus allowing an admin to at
some later point add a ServerUUID to the list of ServerName, ServerAdmin, etc.
as he or she sees fit.

As in practice - we found that in the few times when you need to change that
UUID - you are in effect doing that as part of switching to a new origin server
or something like that at protocol level with respect to things like locks,
caches and other short-transactions/connection RESTy things surviving stuff.

That said - having this in the core and being able to routinely seed this extra
into things like cookies is goodness. We do that a lot now - and it helps with
simplifying compliance a lot.

Dw.