Just as idea...

Can we have reference to read-only "initialConfig" - a config node was
started with.
And current "mutable via special API" config?

Having this we could show in some management tool what was changed
 (for example, TeamCity has such functionality - history of who and what
was changed in build properties).

--
Alexey Kuznetsov