Hi!

> As far as I remember to be PCI-DSS compliant it is sufficient to use
> encryption at file system level. But it needs to be double-checked. It
> requires encrypt transmission of cardholder data across open, public
> networks. Could you point me where does it require DB data to be
encrypted?

PCI DSS [1] have 12 requirements, but you are asking about "Requirement 3:
Protect stored cardholder data". It's description doesn't say anything
about way of protection.

But there is point 3.4.1 which says that we can use any way to protect data:
"If disk encryption is used (rather than file- or column-level database
encryption), logical access must be managed separately and independently of
native operating system authentication and access control mechanisms (for
example, by not using local user account  databases or general network
login credentials). Decryption keys must not be associated with user
accounts. Note: This requirement applies in addition to all other PCI DSS
encryption and key-management requirements."

> Joined node should be activated (included to baseline) by activation
> request contains node-password.

Agree, this is safer.

> Any reason to keed data crypted in memory?

Only if we want to protect data from something like spectre and meltdown,
but I think they are trouble of hardware, but not software.

> PCI DSS require this?

PCI DSS requires to "protect stored data". That means we *can* encrypt data
to keep it safe in memory, but we don't need it.

[1]
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/document_library?category=pcidss&document=pci_dss