> Besides the above, when we merge this pr, we posted the design in the
> feishu[4] and discussed it online as least two times, and emailed and
> discussed it with everyone[5], it has been passed 10 days.

I think I know this and I have shown my concern about the possible
harm of this featuer  to IoTDB's edge mode...

> 1) how many side-effects the feature will bring;
> We have done some tests under[1], which says with 20 databases and 1 user
> when we set `quota_enable` to true to enable the multi-tenancy feature, the
> write performance is only slowed down 1.75%, the read latency has not much
> difference, we will do more tests to show the side-effects in the feature.

The experiment is rather simple...
When we really want to show the added codes having no side-effects,
all the exepriemnt settings should follow a rule that how to fully
expose the possible problems.

For example, as mult-tenancy limits the available # of devices,
timeseries, and the spaces of disk, it should have side-effect on
create new device/timeseries, and writing new data.
So,
- what is the side effect when we manually create a time series?
- what is the side effect when we use automatical creating a time series?
- what is the side effect when we write new data? (as the data can be
compressed when it is flushed on disk in async mode, how to check the
disk space?). Besides, as it impaces each write operation, we need to
focus on write operstions which's batchsize=1.

This discuss is not for getting "+1" or "-1" (though anyone can reply
the vote..).
I just want to discuss that do we REALLY consider and analyze the
feature and the implementation carefully?

If not, then this big feature is not the time to be merged (and I will
call a vote then), and then let's rethink it and make it really
available together.
If yes, we also need to   rethink it and improve it for better performance.

Best,
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

Chao Wang <ccgow...@163.com> 于2023年4月10日周一 19:14写道: