Thank you Andy for your feedback on the KIP.

I agree with Jason on the responses he provided below.

If we give precedence to fairness over stickiness there is no assumption
that can be made about which assignment would remain and which would be
revoked.
If we give precedence to stickiness over fairness, we can be sure that all
existing valid assignments (those with their topic partition still valid)
would remain.

I'll add your example to the KIP, but this is how it should work with
sticky assignor:

We have two consumers C0, C1 and two topics t0, t1 each with 2 partitions.
Therefore, the partitions are t0p0, t0p1, t1p0, t1p1. Let's assume the two
consumers are subscribed to both t0 and t1.
The assignment using the stick assignor will be:
 * C0: [t0p0, t1p0]
 * C1: [t0p1, t1p1]

Now if we add C2 (subscribed to both topics), this is what we get:
 * C0: [t1p0]
 * C1: [t0p1, t1p1]
 * C2: [t0p0]

I think both range and round robin assignors would produce this:
 * C0: [t0p0, t1p1]
 * C1: [t0p1]
 * C2: [t1p0]

Regards,