I have 2 things to say to that
- I agree with all the pain points you've identified (experienced them
myself)
- I'd prefer to fix things instead of claim them useless due to
malfunctioning

Perhaps a middle ground would be a good starting point? Something like how
bndrun resolution works. I mean:
 - developer says - this is what I care to run (perhaps a prototype feature
or something ...)
 - feature-generate-descriptor takes it from there and fills in the gaps
 - developer can change/fix things by tweaking the prototype if not happy
with what feature-generate-descriptor did

This is just my first thought and I'm pretty sure reality is not that
simple. Just wanted to vote against removing it and suggest to start
looking for better solution instead.

Best,
Milen

--