The plugin docs for log4j2 itself [1] covers more about it. If you’re
trying to extend an existing appender, you’ll have to extend its
corresponding manager class instead (an appender in v2 is more of a
configuration mechanism while the manager handles the underlying data
sink). I’d also suggest discussing with the Apache list if you’d like to
integrate or request your feature upstream.

[1]: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/plugins.html

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>