Having the dollar sign interpreted differently also makes a difference in
Scala classes and potentially other languages. For example, in Scala, an
"object" class is a singleton instance of the class (vaguely similar to a
class with all static methods and fields), and it's translated to a Java
class name with a dollar sign appended. The Scala code "object Foo { ... }"
translates to the equivalent of "public class Foo$ { public static Foo$
MODULE$ = new Foo$(); ... }" or something like that.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>