On Nov 12, 2017 06:24, "Mikael Ståldal" <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

On 2017-11-12 00:57, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> A chainsaw implementation in Electron would provide a better developer
> and user experience I would think though

But that would require a complete rewrite of the app, with no opportunity
to reuse any of the existing Java code.

Both Scala and Kotlin have good interoperability with Java, and you can mix
them with Java in the same project. So we can to a gradual migration.

Or am I missing something?

I have also heard that Electron has been criticized for having a very heavy
runtime (embedded Chrome browser). That is to some extent true with the JVM
also, but I think that Electron is worse.

I'd say we should stay on the JVM. Our options are Java 8, Kotlin or Scala;
and Swing or JavaFX.

+1

Gary