On 11/12/2017 07:24 AM, Mikael Ståldal wrote:
On 2017-11-12 00:57, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> A chainsaw implementation in Electron would provide a better developer
> and user experience I would think though

But that would require a complete rewrite of the app, with no opportunity to
reuse any of the existing Java code.
I tend to look at code as just a blueprint proven blueprint / good set of
guidelines for how to implement something.

Both Scala and Kotlin have good interoperability with Java, and you can mix
them with Java in the same project. So we can to a gradual migration.
To me it looks like a migration to nowhere, but if you have users and clients that are in
need of that then by all means.  Judging by the subject I thought this was "Lets
turn this 1960 corvette into a Tesla" type discussion.

Or am I missing something?
You are missing something (Just me being smart - don't kill me).

I have also heard that Electron has been criticized for having a very heavy
runtime (embedded Chrome browser). That is to some extent true with the JVM
also, but I think that Electron is worse.
Have you used Atom?  All (Probably) UI developers have it at their disposal.
It drives Elektron development.  It's constantly being worked on by Github and
a gazillion open source developers.  No one has to use Elektron.  Just deploy
the app to github pages and allow users to use it as a progressive webapp.
Electron is just one more deployment option in addition to browser and mobile.

Here are some of the Apps built with Elektron:
https://electron.atom.io/apps/

Most (If not all) have a github repository.  This Angular 5 video is pretty
good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9cnWTpqP8

I would think the whole thing could be turned into a decent Angular 5 app in a
few days.  After that I'm sure it will do all sorts of things as it's now a
much more attractive base to iterate on.

Cheers,
Ole