On 11/12/2017 07:23 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:

On 12 November 2017 at 13:52, Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com> wrote:

With a progressive Angularjs Webapp it will be a realtime / offline /
cached and web deployable analysis tool.  You can deploy it to browsers,
your phone, the desktop.  The browser can cache assets such that the app is
always available.  Need to store a bunch of logs offline in the browser -
use PouchDB.  The whole thing can be wrapped in electron to make it a
desktop application.  Need observables to observe, throttle, debounce,
filter, map etc. log results as they are coming in?  Use RXJS.  Etc. etc.
etc.

You can do all this with Qt and some other GUI toolkits.
Dude .... Seriously??? ... Even if you can the developer pool for that is a
tiny fraction of what you get with a modern web application architecture.
Which organizations are investing in Qt?
- Can you deploy a Qt app on github pages?
- Can you cache a Qt app as an application via a web url?
- Can you automatically convert the Qt webapp into a mobile app for any phone
architecture?
- Can you run D3 visualizations in a Qt app?
- Can you run any web component in a Qt app?
- Can you reuse your Qt skills with other web application technologies to
create mobile or in browser progressive web apps?
- Can you run Qt easily in a browser?
- Does Qt look like Java (As in Typescript?)
- What are the IDE options with Qt?
- Can you package the Qt app to be installable on any platform?
- How many GraphQL clients can we choose between for Qt?
- Can you reuse your qt web components inside a browser?  Any browser?
etc....

Angular had over 1 million downloads last month:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/angular

How many did Qt have?

That's just angular core.  If you look at the stats for some of the supporting
libraries you'll see they are quite similar.  When is the last time you read
about how to deploy your Qt web app?

Have you seen Maven Central? It makes the NPM ecosystem look, well,
unprofessional.
Bro - you are kidding?  Been using Maven central for 15 years.  Just filled out
a JIRA for an account so I can publish math artifacts a month ago and I'm still
waiting to hear on whether it's going to be approved or not.  I'm starting to
get the feeling I'm being ignored ...  On the flip side I registered the
hipparchus-math organization myself a few days ago on NPM (Just in case
hipparchus wants to use Kotlin and start publishing javascript artifacts to NPM
in order to expand hipparchus reach) and I publish almost daily to NPM with
zero friction.  You just type npm publish and your package is there available
for everyone to use.  I suspect the NPM eco system is growing at a rate of
1000X the maven ecosystem.  For anything you can find in Java you will find at
least 30 of them on NPM.

NPM had 183,830,829
downloads today.  How many did Maven central have?  Honestly, not sure if you
have used NPM much, but once you do you will very very .... very very very ...
very very delighted.  Want a simple rest server to play with to simulate log
event publishing - here you go:
https://github.com/typicode/json-server

NPM is just stuffed with super useful everythings that are easy to use and
experiment with ...

For colors I would mimic a Stock Exchange, Crypto Exchange (See the HODL
cryptocurrency phone app).  That way administrators have good realtime
metaphor for what's going on in their systems.

I haven't really looked much at what you're saying,
No one ever does :).
  but the design ideas
could be interesting.
This should reflect well on Log4J too.  Having it be part of something that's
universally useful to both individual developers and large organizations / dev
ops puts it in in a whole new light. Would not be shocked if ELK stack,
FluentD, and Zipkin devs would take notice and jump onboard either.  It could
also lead to more sharply focused feature development in Log4J.

Install the mobile version on a phone and set it to receive events that
have a hacking signature, etc....

This could be useful, though I feel like it might be simpler to just set up
alerting via an app you actually use more often (e.g., getting an email or
chat notification).
In this case you could just flip to the app and see the logging alerts real
time via a socket connection.  The app could also vibrate your phone if the
S*** is going down.  You would just configure the app to talk to the
notification server.  It could give you rich and informative realtime
visualization of how an attack on your network and services is unfolding / how
nodes are performing overall and peaceful pictures of koala bears eating leaves
when everything is under control.  You know no one can resist Koalas!