On 12 November 2017 at 21:26, Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dude .... Seriously??? ... Even if you can the developer pool for that is
> a tiny fraction of what you get with a modern web application
> architecture.  Which organizations are investing in Qt?

KDE for one.

> - Can you deploy a Qt app on github pages?

Not exactly sure what you mean. Qt is for making native applications.

> - Can you cache a Qt app as an application via a web url?

Again, native application.

> - Can you automatically convert the Qt webapp into a mobile app for any
> phone architecture?

Not a webapp, but here's more info on that topic anyways: <
https://www.qt.io/mobile-app-development/>

> - Can you run D3 visualizations in a Qt app?

Since you can embed a web browser in a Qt app, I don't see why not.

> - Can you run any web component in a Qt app?

Yes, though the web engine in Qt is probably a little outdated compared to
the latest release of Chrome or Firefox.

> - Can you reuse your Qt skills with other web application technologies to
> create mobile or in browser progressive web apps?

General design patterns?

You can write a web browser in Qt. Example: https://konqueror.org/

> - Does Qt look like Java (As in Typescript?)

Qt normally uses C++, though I think you can write Qt applications mostly
in JavaScript nowadays.

> - What are the IDE options with Qt?

https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Creator
https://www.kdevelop.org/
https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/
I'd link Visual Studio, too, but that's garbage anyways.

Practically: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/supported-platforms.html

Quick search found this: https://github.com/graphql/libgraphqlparser

> - Can you reuse your qt web components inside a browser?  Any browser?

Not a web framework.

> How many did Qt have?

Usually you distribute Qt with your application. This would be like asking
how many people downloaded DirectX from Microsoft.

> Bro - you are kidding?  Been using Maven central for 15 years.  Just
> filled out a JIRA for an account so I can publish math artifacts a month
> ago and I'm still waiting to hear on whether it's going to be approved or
> not.  I'm starting to get the feeling I'm being ignored ...  On the flip
> side I registered the hipparchus-math organization myself a few days ago on
> NPM (Just in case hipparchus wants to use Kotlin and start publishing
> javascript artifacts to NPM in order to expand hipparchus reach) and I
> publish almost daily to NPM with zero friction.  You just type npm publish
> and your package is there available for everyone to use.  I suspect the NPM
> eco system is growing at a rate of 1000X the maven ecosystem.  For anything
> you can find in Java you will find at least 30 of them on NPM.

Quality > quantity, and need I bring up the left-pad fiasco? There's no
namespacing on npm, and the artifacts aren't even immutable! It took how
many build tools before reproducible builds were possible? (yarn)

> NPM had 183,830,829
> downloads today.  How many did Maven central have?

I'm not sure if they publish those stats. If they do, I'd be interested to
see.

> It could also lead to more sharply focused feature development in Log4J.

Like what? Log4j has been rather healthy with feature development,
especially in comparison to literally every other JVM logging solution in
existence.

> In this case you could just flip to the app and see the logging alerts
> real time via a socket connection.  The app could also vibrate your phone
> if the S*** is going down.  You would just configure the app to talk to the
> notification server.  It could give you rich and informative realtime
> visualization of how an attack on your network and services is unfolding /
> how nodes are performing overall and peaceful pictures of koala bears
> eating leaves when everything is under control.  You know no one can resist
> Koalas!

This could be a useful app, though it's rather orthogonal to Chainsaw IMO.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, Qt is LGPL which wouldn't work as an Apache
project. I brought up Qt as a non-JVM framework; not necessarily as the
be-all end-all.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>