It feels to me that this whole topic has gotten side-tracked.

I think you first need to decide what you want to build before you decide on
technologies.  Are you building a web application or a desktop? Of course,
there might be technology that lets you do both, to some degree. As far as I
know, the only viable language for web applications is Javascript, unless you
want to build browser plugins. While there might be more variety in desktop
applications, the usefulness might be more limited - but maybe not. After all,
there are still a whole lot of desktop based tools around.

But then you have apps like Microsoft Office where they have built a web
version and a Windows desktop version and a Mac OS desktop version. I have no
idea how much, if any, of that code is shared, but again, that is an option
that could be considered.

So again, before going down the rabbit hole of technology discussion, what is
the scope of what the next version of Chainsaw will be?  Will it be an upgraded
version of the existing code base that uses something besides Swing, will it be
something else, or do we want multiple spin-off projects?

Ralph