: That is bogus for an open source project. I won't have such updates,
: how can i support such a java version, users that run into trouble?
: And this does happen often.
: I don't think i should have to pay money and become a paying customer
: to Oracle to support lucene.

I didn't say you should.  I in fact said almost the exact opposite: that
we shouldn't let commercial versions of the JDK have any bearing on our
decision....

1) Benson made a reasonable statement that "There are many large
organizations of the sort that use Lucene & Solr that will not be moving
to 8 for years yet"

2) you said: "I don't buy "for years yet"." ... impling that such
organizations will *have* to upgrade before then because there won't be
*free* releases of java.

3) I tried to point out 2 things:

a) we shouldn't let the EOL cycle of *one* commercial vendor have any
bearing on our policy of support -- particularly since the refrence
implementation is an open source source project.

b) that your argument against benson's claims seemed missleading: just
because Oracle is EOLing doesn't mean people won't be using OpenJDK; even
if they are using Oracle's JDK, if they are large comercial organizations
they might pay oracle to keep using it for a long time.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/