"Corporate overlords" isn't helpful. Lucene is what it is because of its
wide adoption. That includes big, small, smart, and stupid organizations. I
don't think that an infrastructure component like Lucene needs to be 'ahead
of the curve'. It should aim to be widely adoptable. To me, that means
moving to a new Java requirement after we observe it is semi-ubiquitous. If
1.8 offered some game-changing JVM feature that would allow a giant leap
forward in Lucene, then that would be different. So far, all I see are some
minor programming conveniences.

However, I'm just one very small scale committer, and I've consumed enough
oxygen on this topic.