I agree with Mark that it is a huge and important part of keeping Lucene/Solr a
welcoming
community, that the existing committers take time to guide contributors.
Keeping the "via"
part of the changelog also makes it very easy to spot potential candiates for
committership,
and avoid the "I thought he/she was already a committer" type of comments we've
seen :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com