> I've done a loose attempt at passing in the right system properties and what
> not, but some things have changed, some things may be missed (random seed and
> random seed?

This really shouldn't be too much of a problem since all the stuff
configuring the runner can be passed via system properties -- this was
designed this way so that tests could be run in isolation from the ant
runner (in the IDE, for example).

The ant runner doesn't have to be ported. The main advantages
(isolating test outputs, balancing test runtimes) are not worth the
complexity I think. We ourselves are using the built-in Gradle test
runner; ES has dropped their own wrapper for running the ant runner a
while ago (Ryan wrote that). I think we should stick to what's
available to minimize the configuration files.

> junit 5 stuff working, thinking it's custom engine separation stuff could be
> cool, but probably not that useful here it turns out.

JUnit5 support is another thing, I'd say -- it'd be nice to have it
but it'd require changes to the runner's code itself. I didn't have
time to investigate JUnit5's benefits though and I'm not using it
anywhere so I don't have any experience.

> Anyway, you probably have more experience with that stuff than me, so just my
> current brain waves.

I'll look at it, sure. Not before mid-September though -- need to dig
myself out from the stuff that has accumulated over holidays.

Dawid