I mean a plugin which update the local install.

i.e: mvn logging:update-dist -dimplementation=log4j2 -DlocalInstall=
(optional per default the current used install)
This will download the artifacts and install them in the target local
distro.
That's a sort of extension.
Maybe I don't understand what do you mean with extension?

--
Olivier Lamy