Hi Maven (Core) maintainers,

Currently the download progress for dependencies/plugins is displayed by
default :
Downloading: http://.../repository/org/foo/bar/x.y.z/bar-x.y.z.jar

4/2122 KB
8/2122 KB

The common fix is to use *batch-mode* option (MNG-5486
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5486>, disable maven download
progress indication
This configuration is perfect for CI usage, but has a (little) impact for
*human* execution ... for example on Maven Archetypes (even if usable with
-D parameters).
However I feel that many people (like me) generalise -B option (in *mvn.cmd*
/*mvn.sh, ...*) avoiding some kilometer of logs in a daily use.
This is perverse about the concept, and could do losing the great "future"
feature about logs colorization (MNG-3507
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-3507>) because disabled in

A good consensus (IMO) could be *activate the download progression only if
debug mode (-X) is enabled*.
Because the download information displayed in *batch-mode* option is enough
for a "default execution":
[INFO] Downloading: http://.../repository/org/foo/bar/x.y.z/bar-x.y.z.jar
[INFO] Downloaded: http://.../repository/org/foo/bar/x.y.z/bar-x.y.z.jar
(xx kB at yy kB/s)

I could try providing a PR (using MNG-5486
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5486> or new JIRA ?), but I
would have an acceptance (or not ^^) on this idea.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Alix Lourme