Am 03/14/17 um 01:27 schrieb Jeff Jensen:
>> The date of the commit is not the date it got committed to master, but the
> date it got committed to some branch, no longer existing after the commit.
> If this is the way GIT works, so be it. I just don't like it. It could not
> be more confusing.
>
> A couple of thoughts in case they help you.
>
> 1. Git has "author date" and "commit date" for each commit.
>     * author date is the original date of the first commit, never changes.
>     * commit date is the last time the commit was modified (e.g. amended,
> committed to a branch).
> Each date is useful, depending on the situation investigating.

Yes. It is lacking information about when a commit got added to a
specific branch. Create a branch of master, work on it for a few months,
then merge it back to master. Information about when the months old
commits have been merged to master is missing. Maybe I am just using the
tool incorrectly. Currently I am creating a branch from master to work
on using 'git pull --rebase origin/master' followed by a fast-forward
push to master using 'git push origin branchname:master'. That way the
commits appear in order. If I would do 'git merge' the months old
commits appear at a months old place in time on master with possibly
other commits done in between by others mixed in. This is what 'man
git-merge' tells me is the way things are supposed to be. I am not even
sure I got that correctly.

> To help with the date displays, which git client(s) do you use?

git and gitk.

> Please ask for more git help if you like.  Many people on the list know it
> well, and happy to help your productivity.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Christian