On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 at 18:56, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Stephen> Well on other GitHub orgs i’ve seen PR author has Merge
> button once PR is
> Stephen> approved by someone with push rights to the repo... until
> they add a commit
> Stephen> or the merge result changes
>
> It does not work the way you describe.
>
> 1) By default GitHub defaults to "Base permissions" == "read".
> Administrator can set even "base permissions == admin", however that
> is not something that comes by default.
> 2) Repository administrator can configure a branch so it requires a PR
> approval before merge (see
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/enabling-required-reviews-for-pull-requests/
> )
>
> It might happen so that "author has Merge button" is a case when
> repository was configured with "default=write" permissions + "require
> PR approval".
> Indeed that should produce (I have not checked) the behavior you
> describe, however it was never a default mode for GiHub.

Are you sure? I have lots of repos on different orgs that I am in and for
almost all of them, if the repo is one where I only have read access I can
create the PR but the merge button is unavailable... until the PR is
approved by somebody *who has write permission*... at which point the merge
button magically becomes available to me...

Now you have to know to look out for it, because typically the owner of the
repo approves and then merges the PR in one go... and if I add a new commit
or resolve a merge conflict I lose the merge button until re-approved.

But for some organizations I am involved with, we have the culture of
allowing you to self-merge.

Oh and I know for a fact that these are at least some repos that do not
have branch protection turned on.