On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 00:35:51 +0200, Tibor Digana <tibordig...@apache.org> wrote:

It is ONLY required when the runtime is Java 8 or lower AND you need to
read the module descriptors.

thx for clarifying.

Am i right if I say that it would happen with J9/Toolchain used in Compiler
but J8 in the Maven build?
Is it realistic?
Maybe some people would do it due to some other plugins unreliable on J9+
WDYT?

It depends on the purpose. Suppose there's a plugin that wants to do all kinds of analysis on dependencies where Java 8 is good enough, expect for the module decriptors, then this feature with ASM makes it possible.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 12:20 AM Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org>
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:44:48 +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau
<rmannibu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 13:33, Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org> a
> écrit :
>
>> As far as I know, surefire won't touch the Plexus Java code that
>> requires
>> ASM.
>> It is ONLY required when the runtime is Java 8 or lower AND you need to
>> read the module descriptors.
>>
>> Maven Shade is a different case: it must parse the Java bytecode (and
>> only
>> when using minifyJar), hence it needs the latest ASM.
>>

> + Relocation ;)

Well, the unexpected answer is actually No, see

https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java

(but it might be better to do so...)