it's not about *one not wanting* to upgrade (anybody can use JDK 17 if they
want currently)

it's about *one forcing everybody else* to upgrade (and enter the toolchain
setup question)

I'd be curious to see what will happen the day one of the base plugin force to
upgrade:
https://ci-maven.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dist-tool/job/master/site/dist-tool-prerequisites.html

Regards,

Hervé