Comment inline

On 10/19/06, Dan Fabulich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm very glad that people are having this discussion here.  I, too, give
my heartfelt +1 to the notion of "promoting" the build to a release by
simply copying it, but I've argued elsewhere that the way the
maven-release-plugin works, really the very idea of the way that it
works, is dangerous from a release engineering perspective.

I work for one of the large corporate clients that jdcasey referred to
earlier; we take release engineering very seriously.  The big thing you
want *not* to do is to do a build in an unusual/different way right
before you release.

The idea should be that every build should be releasable; you should
need merely to copy the build and tag the source to promote it.

Specifically, I've been working with Mergere on a build numbering
strategy that would make this possible, and I've written up
documentation about this (and a variety of other stuff) here:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/BEA+Maven+Requirement+Documen
ts

The most important bit here is the notion of builds getting
automatically numbered by the continuous integration system in a way
that can be tracked back to source control.  (The bit about Windows
libraries is important, too, but not relevant to this discussion.)

Interesting: I have an implementation that solves your window's
library problem here:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nmaven/components/tags/REL_0_12/nmaven-artifact/src/main/java/net/sf/nmaven/artifact/

As a committer, this is one of the issues in which I'm very interested,
and I'm very interested in helping out with making the release process
100 Rock Solid for Maven projects [and, uh, the world :-)].

-Dan
by email and then delete it.

Shane Isbell