[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Friday, October 20, 2006 11:22 AM:

> Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb am
> 20.10.2006
> 10:35:18:
>
>> Jason van Zyl wrote on Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:14 PM:
>>>
>>> I think skipping release numbers is Bad Thing(tm). It would
>>> certainly confuse users if we release Maven 2.0.7 next.
>>
>> Anything > 2.0.4 would be welcome ... hehehe
>>
>> Technically you could simply use an additional number at the end:
>>
>> maven-2.0.5.x
>>
>> And if final 2.0.5 is in the end 2.0.5.4 ... who cares? You might
>> also call x the build number, so Maven 2.0.5 would be e.g. maven-2.
>> 0.5.4711 ... done so by Windows for a long time. The only thing
>
> What's wrong with 2.0.4711? Isn't it "major.minor.patchlevel"?

No. It is individually defined by each project.

> I see no reason to add another level which doesn't add any useful
> information.

We talk about support of a promotion process in Maven. This does not
automatically include useful end user information. My Outlook has version
11.8010.8107 .... see? What did it tell you?

> The confusion of users would only happen if there was no hint what
> happened to 2.0.6, so we just need a complete changelog.

We discuss technical restrictions in the build process concerning promotion,
that are caused by the version handling/management and resulting limitations in
Java (e.g. fix manifest entries). So *end user documentation* is the last step.

- Jörg