On 24-Sep-08, at 10:02 AM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

Jason van Zyl wrote:

I think we're going to have two major user stories here, people who
take the last released IT bundle and run it to validate and people who
check out the sources and build everything and run the ITs.

Not sure you fully understand the problem I was referring to. There is a
third party of users affected by the stub plugins: Those that do their
regular builds (i.e. at work and completely unrelated to our ITs) and
don't follow the best practice of locking down plugin versions. Those
users will encounter problems with their builds because of getting the
stub versions (when the repo marks them as latest).

We can either prevent the mixups by running the ITs in an isolated local repository -- which I think would be a good idea -- or figure something out with the versions. This is not much different then someone working with a branch of a set of dependencies against a stable stream. Bundling up a bunch of stuff in a zip really defeats the purpose of being able to easy deploy to a repository, share and test. We have to be able to come up with a better way to partition this then create a custom package.

While I don't consider their potential build problems due to using the
stubs to be our fault, I believe it's advisable to shield the stubs from the normal users as John suggested to prevent rant or bug reports towards Maven like seemed to have happend after infra purged the snapshot repo.

Like I said in our own ITs using snapshot versions of the stubs I
don't think makes a lot of sense.

Agreed.

The stub is in such a high degree of flux we can't release it?

I consider those particular core plugin stubs quite stable. If you look at their code, they basically create a touch file to allow checking by the Verifier that the goal was run. The stubs aren't meant to mimic the real plugins in any other way. Dependency resolution, forking or whatever the real plugins do and we might want to test should be handled by other IT
plugins, again as John previously suggested to keep IT plugins easy to
understand and maintainable. So their current impl shouldn't change
(unless for bugfixing).

Benjamin

Jason

Jason van Zyl