I have looked at those options currently I am using the 7c option of invoking the maven gpg plugin with sign-and-deploy from ant but that has the problems that I indicated in the first mail, and is not as friendly to add to an ant build as just using the maven ant tasks like artifact:deploy

One of the projects that I am helping had something like the simpleantdeploy.txt attachment.
To deploy to central I had to add something like signanddeploy.txt

The one from the signanddeploy.txt has the advantage that I can install or deploy without duplicate configuration. The one from the simpleantdeploy.txt has the advantage that I can add a wagon and deploy to a repo using scp, or another method (needed because while getting everything to work I don't want to break the current support they had for deploying to a custom repo).

To me the ideal situation would be to be able to add a line to the simpleantdeploy.txt one, that said <artifact:gpg /> or something like that and have the maven ant tasks automatically sign the deployed artifacts.

Using the maven ant task directly has been the way until now to get ant people to deploy to a maven repository and make their libraries available, and I think that making that work with the current way (using oss.sonatype.org which requires gpg signing) work is the best solution.

Rubén