On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:33 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

>> I'm going to take the risk of making a fool of myself by asking, but:
>
> Not at all, those are good questions actually!
>

>> I don't care so much about
>> *how* something is done, I care greatly about *what* can be done.
>
> Well, that's exactly what it is about. Without having this source in our repo
> again (where it originally was before it got moved out to codehaus and later
> to some 'private' github repo), we cannot maintain maven effectively. That
> sucks big times and hinders the daily development.

That is simply not true. Kristian works on plexus-utils all the time, has never
been hindered in the slightest and makes changes to the code all the time.
Kristian if this is untrue then please feel free to correct me. You may not
like where the code is, but your argument that you cannot effectively work on
it is utter nonsense. If you naturally followed this argument to all
dependencies and that you can't effectively leverage any code unless it's at
Apache which is really really viable in the long-term.

If you want to change it because you feel like it, or don't like that it's at
Codehaus that's fine it's your time. Provided it doesn't harm the core I can't
tell you what to do with your time and how you want to spend it. But there is
proof to the contrary, at least with Kristian, that it's not hard to
effectively maintain or release plexus-utils. In fact, I believe it's easier
because he can make a fix, release it on a dime, and re-incorporate it back
into Maven and not wait 72 hours.

>> I see a lot of (proposed) work going on here about incremental compilation,
>
>> hugely complex refactoring etc.
>
> Actually the refactorings are not that huge. It's a 1:1 import swap for most
> of it.
>

> Regarding the incremental build: This has nothing to do with Eclipse. I'm was
> even aware that they have a problem. This is really something I personally
> need as well - as do thousands of other maven users. My company build
> currently takes 5 minutes as it has 98 modules atm. Other projects I
> maintain/build regularely (OpenWebBeans, DeltaSpike, MyFaces, OpenJPA,
> OpenEJB, ...) are not that large, but it's really annoying to always need to
> clean a project and do all over again because the change detection is utter
> broken currently.
>

> People had the same fear as some people started working on the parallel build
> support.
>
> I think it is really worth a try to get incremental builds done properly.
>

> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> ________________________________

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks