Just following up on this conversation again -

I have discussed this ad-hoc with a few PMC members recently and wanted to
bring it up on the list.  Veracode has provided us with a 100% free portal
to scan the Metron code with, but in order to integrate, the safest option
is probably to use the ASF's jenkins server (as I'm not aware of a safe way
to automatically pass API creds to Veracode from GitHub).  My long-term
interest here would be to scan and clean up the code base generally, and
then to try and scan PRs for concerns (non-blocking).  Perhaps at some
point, if we identify that these scans are actually useful and not
false-positive prone/onerous, we could turn this into a blocking
requirement for contributions.  Being a security project, I feel that we
should be doing as much as we can to ensure that what we're providing is
safe.

I looked briefly at the Veracode Jenkins integrations, and the ASF Jenkins
setup.  It looks like Veracode has a Jenkins plugin
<https://help.veracode.com/reader/PgbNZUD7j8aY7iG~hQZWxQ/_4G8gT1rhWMgVVtCI1C57A>,
Jenkins has a plugin for Veracode in its plugin repo
<https://plugins.jenkins.io/veracode-scanner> (not supported by Veracode),
the ASF supports adding plugins
<https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_install_a_new_Jenkins_plugin.3F>
to their Jenkins servers (although I think
<http://What_do_Administrators_do.3F> the admins are supposed to do this),
and Metron is not yet set up <https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/> on the
ASF Jenkins server.  The ASF seems to support giving non-PMC committers
access <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account> to
Jenkins, but it requires that the PMC chair do some work, and generally it
looks like they want admins
<https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#FAQ_For_Administrators>/PMC
<https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#FAQ_For_PMCs> members to be
involved (I also don't have access to the builds JIRA project
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/BUILDS>, if it really exists).

I'm happy to play around with this and see how it could be useful, but in
order to do so I need to get some additional authorization.  Does anybody
have any concerns with delegating this access to me, or with this general
approach?

Jon

--

Jon