Github user nickwallen commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/687

    > @ottobackwards : This is opt-in for the resolvers. The
MapVariableResolver does NOT support update, so there is no change to
Enrichment, Parsers, Profile, and Shell ( beyond what has been mentioned ).

    If this PR does not change Parsers, Enrichment, Profiler, and the REPL,
then what does it change?  Where can I use assignment based on this PR?

    Does this just give us the 'capability' to add assignment to each of those?
 We would then need to change the `VariableResolver`s used in each of those
areas to use the assignment as you've implemented it here?

---