Github user nickwallen commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/687

    > @cestella: No, both the REPL and enrichments use the same method of
assignment, the StellarAssignment class. It's just that assignment in stellar
is available in multiple places.

    Ah, yes, I am familiar with `StellarAssignment`.  Ok, but
`StellarAssignment` just takes an expression as input and returns the variable
and expression.  It gets us to the red zone, but not the end zone.

    To really perform assignment, you still need to (1) execute the expression
and (2) add the variable to a `VariableResolver`.  Those extra steps are
performed currently in `AssignmentCommand` for the REPL and they must also be
performed elsewhere for Enrichment, etc.

    I was thinking that we would have all of those steps performed in the same
place.

---