Github user ottobackwards commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/687

    @mattf-horton
    > As for := vs =, it's not so terrible to have both as exact synonyms. This
gives you both your preferred aesthetics and backward compatibility.

    Not to keep harping on it, but there is a difference between the Language
and Stellar and the external constructs that metron has built around it.

    `:=`  is an external thing that metron does, separate from the language or
the engine.  It is coincidental that we use that same construct in the shell
technically.

    The way we have done the configurations, and structuring their logical
meanings is also external to stellar, that is metron.

    I think we need to keep everything in it's separate pile.  We have people
asking to host in `not` metron as recently as today.

---