I worry that it creates a high barrier to entry.

It's a far more common pattern for a project to do poorly at recruiting new
committers, than it is for one to recruit too many.

Could you provide an example that provides a likely (imaginary if you'd
like) candidate? Mu's a pretty bad example for a new committer :) From the
attached doc I walk away thinking that I need to contribute for 2 years
before I can become a committer.

Hen