I agree with Sebastian.

The criteria should look not only at Quantity but at the Quality of work as
well.

This page for Apache committer criteria describes the criteria pretty well.

https://hadoop.apache.org/committer_criteria.html

   - *A history of sustained contribution to the project. This is a way for
   a contributor to demonstrate their expertise in an area, and thus their
   ability to help review and commit contributions by others in that same
   area. Sustained contribution is also a way of demonstrating commitment to
   the project, essentially that someone will continue contributing even after
   they become a committer.*
   - *High-quality contributions. As experienced contributors, committers
   set an example for others in the project, and help inculcate a culture of
   high-quality contributions. For code contributions, this means clean,
   documented code which includes unit tests if appropriate and passes
   precommit checks. For reviews, this means thorough, actionable feedback,
   and a +1 vote (even non-binding) only when there is a high degree of
   confidence in the change.*
   - *Community involvement. Contributors are always expected to be polite,
   constructive, and respectful of others during community interactions.
   Disagreement can (and will) happen over technical issues, but the
   discussion should remain friendly and focused on technical merits.
   Committers also have the additional responsibility of mentoring newer
   contributors, as well as helping to grow the community through actions like
   responding to emails on the user and dev list.*

I would add another point that the committer should have the backbone to
say no to contributions that do NOT meet the high quality bar but yet
mentor the contributor in reaching that high bar. This is difficult to
quantify but is a quality that is expected to be demonstrated in various
conversations of the person being nominated to be the committer.

Bhavin Thaker.