On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Isabel Drost-Fromm <isa...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 12:27:16PM +0100, Chiyuan Zhang wrote:
> > Suppose we lower the standard or completely remove the formal standard
> for
> > committers, then we could probably be able to get more committers from
> the
> > first type. But that might not necessarily be good to us
>
> Can you elaborate your reasoning here? (I'm not implying that I agree or
> disagree with you, I just want to understand where this fear is coming
> from.)

I think this depends on what committers could do (writing permission to the
repo? voting in decisions for the direction of the projects? etc.). Another
thing might be that having too many committers makes it less valuable to
become a committer and therefore discourage new people.

> > having people that could either contribute relatively important
> components
> > or provide longer term commitment to the project. But on the other hand,
> > having a standard for committers do not (I hope) discourage the first
> type
> > of contributors to contribute PRs.
>
> Let me tell you a little campfire story: Back in the old days of Mahout we
> implicitly had a relatively high bar for becoming a committer. People
> thought
> that in order to become committer they would have to contribute substantial
> patches, often full new algorithm implementations.
>
> What the project really needed were a lot of work polishing, optimising,
> cleaning, making easier to use, documenting etc.
>
> Due to the perception of requiring substantial contributions to get the
> reward of becoming committer however we never received much of the latter.

Yes, I totally agree that open source project survival really needs
continuous contributions from the committee and many maintenance and
polishing work. I would like to re-state that I support having a *clear*
policy or guideline for becoming committers, not necessarily one with very
high bar that requires substantial contributions. I think if we are able to
control the guidelines to a reasonable level and easy to follow and get
started, then this might even encourage new users to contribute.

chiyuan