Hi,

There have been a couple of offline inquiries from contributors about
becoming a committer. From those inquiries, it seems that there’s confusion
in our community about how to become a committer, so I’d like to take this
opportunity to clarify.

The guideline about becoming a committer can be found at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Becoming+a+Committer. The
gist of the guideline is that, like any other Apache project, MXNet
committers are invited by existing committers based on merit. The existing
committers look for sustained, high quality contribution and community
involvement among project contributors. When a candidate is spotted, this
contributor will be nominated and voted among PMC members, and if all goes
well, this contributor will receive an invitation to join as a committer
and PMC member.

Note that such discussion and decision happens in private among existing
PMC members and mentors through consensus, and information regarding what
happened in this process will always remain private, so as to rid the
influence of different interest groups. PMC members will not ask
contributors for committer application, nor will they accept one. Except
the aforementioned PMC members consensus process, any other process by any
organization under any circumstances will not be recognized.

I hope that you find the above clarification helpful. If you have further
question on this topic feel free to ask.

Sheng