From: Lars Aronsson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 5:48 AM
To: dev@native-lang.openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [native-lang] Status update season!

Meelad Zakaria wrote:

> Furthermore, I'd like to start some spellchecker dictionary for
Persian.
> Any idea where i can find a spec for such dictionaries in oo?

OpenOffice.org currently uses Hunspell.  It's dictionary format is
compatible with the Myspell used earlier, and very similar to the
older Aspell and Ispell.  There is a "fa-demo" to download from
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionary
that contains 332554 words in Persian.  According to the included
README file, this is the same dictionary as is listed on
www.aspell.net for GNU Aspell 0.60, maintained by Babak Mahmoudi
and Edwin Hakopian. The included "fa.aff" file is empty.  Perhaps
affixes are not applicable to Persian?  I have no idea.

For most languages, there is only one dictionary, maintained by a
single person or a small team, who produces packages adopted for
each spell checking software.

I'm currently trying to improve the Swedish dictionary, which is
maintained by a friend of mine, so I'm looking for ways to compare
the quality of different dictionaries, and various methods used
for maintaining them.  The naive approach would be to complain
"the dictionary doesn't contain words X, Y, and Z", to which the
reply would be "so, add them".  However, this is a never-ending
task. The more words I add, the more I discover to be missing.
Just adding words to a dictionary is not so important, as the
spell checker's ability to help its user to avoid mistakes.  But
how is this measured?  When I compare Swedish to some other
closely related languages, I find their dictionaries are much
larger than the Swedish one, and this is one useful measure for
me.  But that doesn't help me to compare the quality of the
Swedish dictionary to the one for Persian.  On the page
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Translation_Statistics
there is an indication that 57% of the GUI for OpenOffice.org is
translated to Arabic and 62% to Persian.  We could add a column in
that table to tell us the quality (from 0 to 100%) of the spelling
dictionary for each language, but how would we measure this?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])