> Given that one of my degrees was in Graphic Design, I thought I would have a
> look at the problem.
Excellent!!

> I am currently working on building some spreadsheets of all gif, png and svg
> files in the netbeans app. This is very time consuming since none of my
> search apps allows copy and paste to anything, so it is a manual problem,
> currently at 464 of 1473 gif files. There are 2788 png files. By this I mean
> references to files as there are many with the same name, but, not
> necessarily the same graphic.

This I can help with. The SVG icon drawing effort is tracked here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2617

I have added a Google Sheet that shows the suggested prioritization of icons to
draw, and current progress that I know of:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U_pj-I3hk9Wj_7lvHcUDsZfFfBSyCkSGqBuv0qt_qXw/edit?usp=sharing

I have added you (and Pete Whelpton, who contributed some icons in the past) as
an editor on this sheet so you can add notes if you wish.

> It would be of great value if someone with experience of these icons and
> their production could provide feedback on my work etc.

Happy to help here. I am not a graphic designer, but I have made a suite of
icons in my own NetBeans Platform application, so I've been through the
technical process at least. I have maybe 100 hours of experience in Adobe
Illustrator, but none in Inkscape. Feel free to use Inkscape if you prefer.
(And while I know the use of Adobe Illustrator is controversial, I'm happy to
reimburse a one-month license if you prefer it...)

-- Eirik

Apologies to all. I didn't send direct to my dev my mistake.

Jeremy