On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Antonio <anto...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> On 21/01/18 11:33, Jan Lahoda wrote:
>
>> Just in case someone would miss the e-mail on general, I'm forwarding
>> Justin's e-mail about issues he has found in the 9.0 beta RC2.
>>

> licenses are not in the LICENSE file. There may be different solutions for
>> different such files, but to me, it would seem OK if all those would be
>> downloaded as external binaries. Although in any case, we may need to do
>> some infrastructure work. I wonder if folks knowledgeable of those files
>> could take a look.
>>

> What does "may need to do some infrastructure work" exactly mean? Does
> this mean we can host binaries & xsds somewhere @Apache for builds?

That's not quite what I had in mind. (And I think using the maven
coordinates and hence using known versions of the jars is good on its own.)

What I had in mind is roughly this: my understanding is that for every
release (source or binary), which the LICENSE (and NOTICE) should contain
only information about things that are in the given release. Consider for
example this file:
html.editor/src/org/netbeans/modules/html/editor/resources/DTDs/4_0/HTMLlat1.ent

If a release contains this file, my understanding is that it needs to have
an entry in LICENSE(?) for it, and if a release does not have the file, it
shouldn't have the entry there. I don't think we have a framework to do
that. It would be easier if those would be in NOTICE (as we have a
framework to do that), but my understanding is that its not the case. So
setting up some framework that would allow us to properly create the
LICENSE file for such files would be necessary. Or we could try to
piggy-back on the existing third party library infrastructure.

Jan