This is Maven Central. It has nothing to do with the size of your project.

If I remember correctly, the unpacked index of Maven Central is over 2GB.

Maven support in Netbeans could certainly use some work, especially when it comes to indexing the repository (local and remote) which is extremely slow. I won't go further into details because I believe this topic has been beaten to death in the past. Everyone hate this part of using Netbeans.

Gili

On 2018-03-20 6:41 PM, Derik Devecchio wrote:
One quick datapoint.
I have used NetBeans 8.1 on my Mac of at least a year, maybe 2.   Upon
investigation 2.49 GB of the 2.63 GB that were in my cache were located in
maven indexes/central/.    I have only use one library in Maven Central (others
are in a local repository).   I was unaware that adding that small project
(less than 10 classes) was causing maven to chew up almost 2.5 GB of HDD space.