My first message was not fully baked and my intended meaning was missed.

I was trying to point out that after 1-2 years of use, my Netbeans 8.1 cache
was still a reasonable size, ~140 MB.   From my one data point, I don’t see
that there is a cache problem at all.  Only a Maven Index problem which is a
different beast.  Are other people’s “large cache” problems also tied to use of
maven central’s 2.5GB index?   There may be some people that consider even 140
MB of cache data to be a problem.

Thanks Emilian for pointing me to the “on line” plugin for maven to avoid using
the local index.   My alternative was to copy the one maven-central library
that I still use to our local repository, but this plugin idea seems much more
elegant way to manage this.

As for the size of the maven index, Gili asked about the downsides of using the
plugin by default.   Maybe the default should be to not use an indexer at all.
 Projects that are available in a maven repository frequently publish the POM
entry in a copy/paste format right in the “downloads” section.   I have never
had to rely on autocompletion in a POM file to get my work done.   My maven
usage may be atypical.

—
derik

On Mar 21, 2018, at 12:08 AM, Emilian Bold