Yes, that would be a solution.

I'm also fine if we would do a 19.x branch. For the future, we could aim to have a release more towards the middle of the year to avoid last-minute branching between Christmas and New Year ;-)

The above would fit perfectly with this plan:

1. create an 18.12 branch and stabilize it

2. release 17.12 ;-)

3. create a 19.x (x = {6..10} branch with the Java Upgrade

This would not break the yearly release branch and give us time for the Java 11 Update in 19.x. 19.x would be earlier next year so we get out of the end of year-hurries .

Thanks,

Michael